Friday, April 3, 2009

Kennedy's Easter dress


This is my "Martha Pullen" pleater. It is a 24 row pleater. The needles are crooked so they fit in between the rods. Sometimes you have to run waxed paper through the rods to lubricate them. The lighter weight the fabric the better you can pull it through. I used quilter's cotton for this dress and I would have been better off using lawn cotton because it is much finer. Remind me the next time Lindsay, in case I forget! I thread each of the needles with quilting thread because it is stronger. I had to sew the sleeves into the dress before I pleated it, and had to make sure to used little seams so that it would go through the pleater easier. The first time I went through the seam I broke a needle, so I had to take the whole thing apart and start over.

The second time, I went through thte first seam okay, but the second seam I broke three needles trying to pull the dress through the rods. The needles cost over a dollar each.
Wow, I finally got the dress pleated. The quilting thread rows are guidelines for the rows you have to smock. It takes an hour to smock each row. Instead of DMC embroidery thread, I use one strand of DMC floche. It is a silky cotton thread that is about the thickness of three strands of DMC floss. To keep the dress from looking like a turtle neck, there is a mathematical process you must follow to make the dress like flat across the shoulders.

It took forever to make all these bullion roses.



I don't know why, but the camera would not take a good, clear photo. The first row of smocking under the neck band is two rows, of stitching. It is called a "wheat" stitch.





I embroidered the sleeve band and added piping on top and bottom of the band.
Now I am dying to see how the dress looks like on the actual cutie pie. Wish I could be there on Easter Sunday!




11 comments:

Naoma said...

I LOVE it!!! Wish that my mom was a seamstress. Oh well, maybe I will start learning. You are such an amazing gramma!

The Blairs said...

WOW! That is gorgeous. I'm sure she will look beautiful in it. What are you going to do when you have like 12 grandchildren? You'll spend all your time sewing matching dresses for them :)

Auntie Lolo said...

Um wow. That dress is AMAZING!! It's going to look so great on her!!

Lars said...

You are so talented. I don't even aspire to figure out something like that. It is absolutely beautiful and priceless because you put your love into it along with your time.

Looks like you are doing well. You've been busy since you moved.

The Bruce Family said...

That dress is so adorable . She is going to look so cute in it . I wish I could do that but I don't have the time or talent. lol.

The Whatcott's said...

Cindy,
That dress is so darling!But I knew it would be with you as the seamstress extrodinare. I hope Lindsay posts a picture of her in it on her blog. She will look like a doll. Hey, Sherrie said you have a blog called sherrieandme or something. I can't find it. Will you email me the site so I can go to it. How's things? We are doing good. Give me a call when your not busy. Oh, by the way, Luke and Hollie are expecting a baby girl, I am so excited. It has been 9 years since I have had a grandaughter. Nick and Jan are also expecting again. It is to soon to know what it is. They are very happy. Give me a call when your not busy. Have a great weekend.
Pam

Nielson said...

Yeah!!! I am so excited! She is going to look so cute in it and get tons of compliments. She'll will be excited too. :)

Kimalee said...

WOW that dress looks great!! Great job!! I am excited to see what is next.

AJ and Jennifer said...

She will look so wonderful! Can't wait to see a picture of her in it!

Somer said...

That is beautiful Cynthia. How I wish I had a pleater, and maybe a bit more time. I love it and she'll look so beautiful. What a gift.

Lori Holt said...

Cynthia-
The dress is S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!
So beautiful and sweet, just like Kennedy:) What a lucky girl.