Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On the Road Again.........

Well, we left Utah on a freezing cold Friday morning. We drove through Price, and through a little corner of Colorado. Then we were in New Mexico. There were no rest areas, and there were no DWI signs every mile throughout the whole state. The pedal was to the metal because we had to make it to Albuquerque for a decent place to spend the night. Since making these looooong road trips, we have discovered The Holiday Inn Express. It has incredibly comfortable beds with soft pillows, very nice bathrooms, and good continental breakfasts.





After driving through New Mexico for all of Friday and part of Saturday, we entered the great state of Texas. It's true what they say......everything is bigger in Texas. The flags, the cars, the food portions, the signs, everything! We drove through part of Jordan's church mission area. We drove through Amarillo and it is so much bigger than I remember, almost 30 years ago. I looked for the restaurant "The Big Texan" but couldn't find it from the highway.
Another thing about this route is that we had to drive through a lot of small towns and stop at a lot of traffic lights.
The second night we stopped in Dallas. I was hoping to, but just didn't know how it would work logistically. Anyway we made it to a Holiday Inn Express, and I called Lois, Lindsay's friend since they were 9 years old. They only lived about 10 miles away, so they came to the hotel and we had a great visit. It was great to see Lois and her husband Doug. We caught up on each other's news and took some pictures. I know that Lindsay wishes she had been there!
On the road again, to Mississippi. Nothing eventful.....then Louisiana.





We spent the third night in Mobile, Alabama. I was exhausted.....We stayed in a Holiday Inn because the GPS wouldn't tell us where a closeby Holiday Inn Express was. The room wasn't as nice, even though the price was way higher, and the TV didn't get ABC so I couldn't watch my favorite shows. Great!!!! There was no free breakfast either. The next morning we drove eight miles down the interstate into Florida and there was my favorite hotel just down the road... oh well.....






We made it to Florida, always driving about 9 miles above the speed limit. To make a long travel story short, we made it to Ocala at 3:15 Eastern time. Ricky kept texting every 5 minutes asking where are you now? About 5 miles closer than the last time.......He was waiting in the parking lot when we arrived. Yes, he was so happy to see us and we were so happy to see him!
Everyday was like the movie "Groundhog Day".....Get up, drive, drive, drive, drive, sleep......get up, drive, drive, drive, sleep........you get the idea.
Sean went to his first day of school today. His Science teacher is from Taylorsville, Utah and was wearing a BYU jacket. What a small world......
Tomorrow the moving truck comes........stayed tuned.........







6 comments:

Kimalee said...

Yeah!!! I hope Sean enjoys his new school and that the drive was okay!! It is so great that that family is back together again. I know Ricky really missed you!! Well good luck unpacking that is the hardest part to find a spot for everything but you have had lots of practise so that will be good!!Keep us updated. Love ya! Jordan and Kim

Naoma said...

Glad you made it safely and now you get to start a new chapter in your life! Hope that adjusting is easy and enjoy the warm weather cause it is freezing here!

Nielson said...

What a long trip! I bet Dad was so excited--I can't wait to see more pics of the new house--oh, and they are estimating our house now for mid-february--is that still okay??

Kimberly said...

I'm so glad you made it safely with no problems...except for the one night in the wrong Holiday Inn and not ABC TV! What a sweet husband to be checking on you all the way. I didn't have that when I drove from AZ to UT and we even had two blown out tires on our moving truck that I drove, towing our van! Yep! I did that! We arrived safely...6 hours behind schedule because of that whole ordeal and found out that our van was only hanging on the dolly by one tire strap. I told Brad I would never do that again. Thank goodness you had movers and you only had to drive your comfy car. We can't wait to see the house. I'm glad Sean's in school and I'm sure he will meet some new friends quickly. I hope you enjoy the ward and that there's a great youth program. I really wish we could have spent some more time together. From what little I know, I love your family already and hope to stay in touch. It would be great to see you all again.

Rachel said...

Wow, what a trip! I wish we could have made the drive to Dallas to see you. We'll just have to make the drive to Florida to see you! Hope all goes well with the rest of the move!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

I'm so glad you arrived. I've really missed checking your blog and seeing nothing. I was so excited just now to see that your up and running. What is your favorite television show?

Your amazing to drive that far.