Also, her very scary experience with Kennedy!
These are close ups of the quilt, but some of the pictures are blurry!
These three photos are of statues in the city, and the fountain by city hall. Rebecca sewed all 12 stars. She is a new quilter, too!
Lindsay sewed the four tumbling leaves around the city hall block, and 3 spinning geese, one is to the left of the trees, it has a green background.
The clock tower stands across the street from city hall, in the town center. Betty Peterson appliqued it, and the block under city hall, that says "South Jordan". She embroidered the words. She also sewed the purple bowties,six of them. I used one on the back of the quilt, by the label. She sewed the "Sister's Choice" block, under the top left gale tree. The block is in pinks.
Betty also embroidered the words under one of the black and white photos. Marianne Marlor embroidered the words under the other black and white photo. Marianne also sewed eight pinwheel blocks, 4 blue ones that are on the corners around city hall, and 4 red and gold ones that are on the corners of the quilt. She also sewed two of the flying geese strips that point toward city hall.
Cindy Geilmann sewed the pink and beige nine patch to the right of the clock tower, and two of the flying geese strips pointing toward city hall. She also sewed the 5 pink and beige rectangles that separate the two black and white photos.
These two photos represent the past of South Jordan.
The tree is called the "gale" tree. South Jordan City used to be called Gale City, because the wind blew a lot. The wind is blowing the trees to the east. Nanette Davis sewed those four blocks. They have a ton of pieces in them!
Liz Copeland sewed these 6 spool blocks, in brown. She also sewed the "log cabin" block that is on the top right of city hall, to the left of a blue pinwheel.
This is the label on the back of the quilt, giving recognition to everyone who helped.
Material Girls Quilt shop donated all the fabric for the quilt. I drew the design on graph paper after much erasing and redoing. It was a lot of fun, but very time consuming. I drew the squares in the colors I thought would look good. Then I went to the quilt shop and just picked out all the colors and prints I thought would look good together. That took about an hour and a half. Luckily I'm at the stage in life where I don't have kids hanging onto me, or I never could have done it! It was so much fun to choose the fabric. Then I went home and stared at it for a long time. I layed it on the floor where I thought it should go. Then I would rearrange it, and rearrange it again.
All of my friends were so good to help me. Some of them said, "Can I do some more to help? This is such an honor to be a part of this!" It would have been triple the work if my friends and daughters hadn't sewn those blocks.
I have lots of projects to work on, now that I live in a new place and have a lot of free time.
3 comments:
The quilt is so beautiful! I even forgot that i did half of those squares! Now it's hanging up in the city, for all to see, forever
It was an honor for me to be a part of it. It's going to hang in the entrance of the City Offices. I haven't seen it yet.
Cindy, yes, that was the quilt I made for Hudson. It was so easy and fun. I made a little bag with left overs. Cindy quilted in the ditches.
It won't be long before you as busy as ever.
I am seriously running out of words for how incredible your quilts are!! How lucky is South Jordan for having this forever??!! You are an amazing little lady!!
Post a Comment