Thursday, March 4, 2010

Grandaughter's Dress



I bought this book 3 years ago to make Kennedy a blessing gown, hoping to get much more use out of it than just one dress for one grandaughter.  The idea is for each grandchild to pass their blessing gown on to their children and so on.  Therefore I need to make a dress for each grandchild!
 My sewing room is in a whirl of activity right now as it usually is.  I have read and re read the directions on how to make shark's teeth.  I bought a special marking ruler many years ago intending to eventually make shark's teeth and the time has come.  Whenever I start a project I am unfamiliar with such as the first time I made one of Lori Holt's quilts, I am really nervous.  I never thought I could do all that applique, but I did.  I sort of procrastinate when I am trying something new because I am afraid I will ruin the fabric or something.  Well, after about 2 weeks of studying how to do this, I have finally begun.
 These are the first shark's teeth I made today.  Then I realized that the pattern doesn't just call for plain shark's teeth, there is a pattern involved. 





  Here is a drawing, sorry that it's blurry!
This is the V- shape.  I am attaching entredeux to it, then lace, then entredeux.
Entredeux is a french word.  It means between two.  You trim off the seam allowance and lay the lace beside the holes.  You zigzag the entredeux and the lace together, making sure the zig goes into each hole of the entredeux.  There are ten rows of the shark's teeth with the lace going down the front of the dress.  The fabric is white and the lace is off white.  
Wish me luck!  My goal is to have the dress and slip and maybe the bonnet completed by April 1st.
 By the way, this dress is for baby Nielson, Lindsay's third child due April 12th. 

7 comments:

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Oh my goodness Cindy, you do like to understake hard things don't you.

It going to be so beautiful and it looks perfect.

I'm really glad for spring to come. It's been a long winter. We're just all getting better. I've gathered allot of projects.

I still miss you but things are going well.

Hugs and Kisses
cindy@stitches

come visit

Auntie Lolo said...

HOLY COW!! That is one amazing dress!! Baby #3 is one lucky gal!

Rachel said...

Wow! You are amazing!!! I can't wait to see the finished product!!! I get nervous and put off new sewing projects too! I have never attempted something so elaborate though!

When my Dad was visiting a few weeks ago, while watching Caralyn run around the house he commented that she reminded him of you running around when you were little. He said she looks very similar to you - but she is shy. My Dad said you weren't very shy! Anyway, I thought that was sweet!

Nielson said...

Wow--I'm so excited! That dress is going to be the envy of the neighborhood :) I can't wait for the dress to be finished (or for the baby to be finished for that matter...) Thank you thank you thank you!

The Whatcott's said...

Cindy, You are amazing. I sure wish i had a tiny bit of your talent. I will be excited to see the dress all finished. I hope all is going well with all of you. Sure miss ya! Happy Sewing!
Love,
Pam

Somer said...

Oh its going to be so pretty. i love French and Heirloom sewing it is always so worth it.

The Bruce Family said...

Hi Cindy,
The dress is going to be so beautiful. I can't wait to see the pictures when you are done. I also can't wait to see picures of the baby. Take care Dianne