Saturday, February 7, 2009

Alligators, Antiques and Adventures

This morning, we went to the grand opening of a 9 hole disc golf course. It is beside one of the two golf courses that the city of Ocala owns and operates. I just can't get enough of these beautiful trees with spanish moss hanging off of them. The name of this golf course is Pine Oaks.
We took two golf carts and drove around the course, up and down the hills, pretending to run over some of the birds just to see them fly away before we got to them!


Vanessa found a golf ball along the path.


We were given a lesson on how to throw the discs into the basket with chains. It only costs a $1 to play the course. The discs look like frisbees, but they are weighted. You can't really throw them like a frisbee or they will go sideways. There is a special technique that we were taught by one of the pros. We think it my be a fun activity for our Family Reunion this summer.


We decided to drive towards Gainesville and sightsee. We stopped at a fruit stand at the side of the road. I couldn't resist taking a picture of all of the luscious fruits.





Giant avocados and grapefruits.




























We bought some fresh hot boiled peanuts and had a little tailgate eating fest.









The peanuts were so hot, they steamed up the bag.






















Another thing I wanted to stop at, was this pet cemetary. Isn't the statue gorgeous? I bet there is a horse named "prince" buried underneath as well as a dog named "Benny".


























Then we stopped off at a state park. The trees lined the road, I think they're so beautiful.



































































Can you believe this sign!!!! Anywhere there is fresh water, there may be alligators. You see these signs all over Florida. They are not uncommon. Sean looks happy......but really he is very nervous!













































We then drove to a little historic town lined up and down the streets with antique stores. This is a hot fudge sundae from an old fashioned soda shop. The name of the town is Micanope. Another destination on the list for the reunion.











































Inside one of the antique shops.




















It was a very fun day, and the temperature has finally warmed back up to 75 degrees. Perfect weather!
As Sean says, thank you for commenting!




























7 comments:

Auntie Lolo said...

Wow....Looks like home. I love spanish moss and holy cow am I now dying for some hot boiled peanuts!! Great pictures!!

Rachel said...

That looks like so much fun - minus the alligators of course! What a pretty town and fun adventure. I can't believe it only costs ONE dollar to play the course!

p.s. The quilt you made for South Jordan is gorgeous! You are so talented. I am attempting - still haven't bought the fabric - to make a jelly roll quilt for Caralyn. I was inspired by the gorgeous one you made for Vanessa. I've looked up tons of pictures online and yours is by far the prettiest! Thanks! :)

Nielson said...

Wow--everything about that day looks like fun (especially the 75 degrees part). Bridger will die when I show him that sign--his eyes will get huge and he will want me to make up some exciting story for him, I'm sure. Miss the boiled peanuts and sure miss all of you!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

I know how to make boiled peanuts.

I'm glad that your all together, but I hate that your gown.

I love the trees in the south too.

I love the warmer weather.

That treat looks rather good too.

Kimberly said...

I remember having boiled peanuts. So good. The fruit stand is great. We are alike that way. I get excited over fruit/vegetables stands and take pictures! I remember from visting my Dad that we had to watch out for Alligators. We did go on a swamp ride...scary, and ate alligator. Have you tried it yet? It tastes like chicken, but I could only taste it, and nothing more. The thought of eating anything "not normal" isn't for me. Looks like a fun day!

Emilee said...

My mouth is watering...the fruit looked so yummy! I can't believe you guys are in 75 degree weather. How are you? I hear Addison is getting married. Congratulations!

Lori Holt said...

Hi Cynthia! It looks like you live in a great area but I do miss you in class. I'm way jealous of all those vintage linens in the antique shop that you visited. Great photo.